Space clearing means clearing the space on an energy level. It is an ancient art practiced daily in many old cultures – from India and Bali to Peru and Morocco – and there are numerous ways and materials used for space clearing. The reason behind the need for space clearing is simple: just as on a physical level you see the dust and dirt accumulating in your home as a result of daily activities, the same happens on an energy level. You may not see the “dust and dirt” of human emotions, but they do accumulate in any space, so it is best to clear them out regularly.
- Begin by choosing your ali
- Start outside the main door of the home. (mouth of chi)
- First, light one end of your smudge, allowing it to catch fire and burn for several seconds. Once the flame extinguishes, gently fan the lit end to ignite the embers; the smudge will begin to glow and smoke. Lay the smudge on a heatproof dish, such as an abalone shell, to catch the ashes as it burns. Always respect the power of fire when using it in ritual.
- As the smoke rises into the air, picture your intention, whatever it may be. If you are clearing negative energy, picture its density and see it lifting away. Healing? Then imagine the smoke cleansing any illness or injury. Whatever it is, envision it floating away on the smoke. You can pray or chant if you feel called. Use your hands or a smudge fan to guide the smoke over yourself and around your sacred space.
- After making this ceremonious circle around the house we douse the burning embers and return the ashes to earth outside.
- The beauty of smudging is that it can be done at any time, as often as you need, no matter your background or culture.